Flower of Life Series – Process
The Flower of Life Series was created to show the connections we as Humans have with the ecosystem and challenge our contribution to ensure sustainability of this energy.
Its creation involved an experimentation of combining different materials and processes while focusing on recycling or repurposing materials.
I recently did a detailed Video Presentation showing the creation of one of the pieces!
Flower of Life Pattern– one of the most fascinating ancient patterns found in Human history. It is believed to be the blueprint of life and depicts how all life forms come from one source.The oldest known depictions of the Flower of Life were found in the Temple of Osiris in Egypt and date back to at least 6 000 years ago.
Techniques and Processes employed :
- Traditional woodcut printing– first I drew and etched out the flower of life pattern on an MDF Board. I then used it as stencil for printing different-colored backgrounds using PVC ink on textured paper.
- 3D Printing– I used the Ultimaker2 to 3d print a stencil of the Flower of life that I used to create some patterns on the artworks.
- Recycled Collage– I re-used waste magazines that had been left behind when my neighbour moved houses, as collage to give vibrance and interesting details to the artworks. This involved cutting parts of the magazines and pasting onto the textured paper surface.
- Pen and Ink– I used writings and shading using ink. The words written experiment on typography and use of some ironic or poetic words; and numbers in the pieces; for example
- Coffee stains– I used coffee stains as part of the color pigments for the pieces.